Please give a warm welcome to MAC's Arts Advocacy and Policy Director, Alonso! Born and raised in Mammoth Lakes, Alonso is passionate about bridging arts and culture with government entities. Learn more about Alonso below!
1. What is your connection to the arts? Are you an artist yourself or do you have a particular interest in the arts?
I am a grand art enthusiast! I have loved all forms of art and have learned to appreciate most mediums for their own greatness. I grew up with the typical arts and crafts that a child gets and embraced my artistic side in various ways, but as an adult and student I made sure to study art history and its impact on culture.
I have participated in performative arts as well as creative writing. I have a deep connection to music as well. However, when it comes to painting and sculpture, I am a humble observer and appreciator.
2. What is your favorite art medium and why is it your favorite?
I would say that there would be a violent war between traditional painting and music for me on this question. Regarding paintings, I have loved anything that tells a story. Even Pollock was able to tell a story with his form, but I have loved Renaissance, especially with female artists. I have loved looking at the way women artists have done portraits in various eras.
3. If you could learn any arts medium, what would it be? Why?
I would love to be someone that could draw and paint more, but I lack the dedication to practice. But, in the same way that great writing is impactful, these paintings can tell a beautiful story through color and imagination.
4. What are you most looking forward to as Arts Advocacy and Policy Director for Mono Arts Council?
I am looking forward to working with the county vs. just Mammoth proper. I think our county is so diverse, and I hope to learn more about it through this role.
5. Why do you think the arts are so important right now? Art is something that is intersectional. It fits into every facet of culture all over the world. Every region, every country, has its own style that fits with that personality. Art can be the language that connects all of us. I also know that art can be used as a tool for change whether through dance, photography, or mix between varying forms. The ways in which people are able to express themselves through art is impactful to societies.